Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Well written game is like a good book...

Last night I finished what could have been one of the best stories for a game I've ever played. In Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper, you play as Sherlock and trusty sidekick Watson as they try to solve the Whitechapel Murder spree in 1888.

Well the ending (which I shall do my best to not ruin for those of you who will play this great discount title) was easily the most satisfying end sequence I've played this year. It lends credence to everything you've done throughout the game, and even does a fantastic job at not only telling the story of a psycho, but also weaving it into the actual real life story of what transpired during August to November 1888 in Whitechapel, London. Obviously Sherlock Holmes isn't real, but Jack the Ripper was indeed very real.

For ANYONE who enjoys a well paced game with a great story but only "ok" graphics, this is a fantastic title for you. It's cheap (I payed 10 bucks for it at EB in Corner Brook, NL of all places) so there's no excuse. Play this game.

Well, for you gaming enthusiasts out there, this is one of the slowest times of year for any sorts of new titles coming out. But... right around the corner is one of the most fantabulous amazing and joyous seasons ever. Starting September, the Christmas shopping season begins and game developers bring their "AAA" game to their newest titles coming to the shelves. So far this fall there are 4 sure fire "Chris wants to play" titles. Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions, NHL 11, Dead Rising 2 and Two Worlds 2 all have that gusto to them that makes my wife tremble knowing I'll like have some time invested into gaming. For some reason, Two Worlds 2 (sequel to the laughable Two Worlds from way back when) is having a "Mass Effectian" like hold over me. By all accounts, it should suck, based on track record. But it looks as if the developers are actually "trying". :) Pre-release screens look amazing. Spider-man promises an incredible experience for the webhead fans of the world, with you taking the guise of 4 different Spider-men, in essence giving the gamer 4 full gaming experiences. NHL 11 is just that, NHL Hockey at it's best. Dead Rising 2 would be the least looked forward to title of the bunch, knowing that the first sat on my shelf for over a year before I picked it up to play. Granted, as noted in previous posts, it did hold my attention quite a bit when I did play it.

Needless to say, all 4 will hit my game shelf over the next 4 months at one point or another.

----------------------------

I haven't shot many pictures over the past month since the weddings I attended. I really feel "pictured out". I took a lot over vacation and then went into overload at the weddings (with only varying degrees of success given what limited equipment I have) so it's like breaktime for me. Gotta recharge the batteries and find some inspiration. As it turns out, the local Newfoundland rag called the Downhomer has expressed some interest in some of my panoramas. Maybe that'll be my boost.

----------------------------

Go Maps have taken a back seat now over the past 6 to 8 weeks. All my resellers have plenty of stock as we're still in the slow season for GPS sales. Come September when it seems the whole world boots up again after a long run of "just getting by" in sales, these maps will be jumping off the shelf. I've discovered a way to make the maps more accurate over the summer, and will have an updated product for the September shopping startup.

----------------------------

That's all for today folks. Next time, I'll talk something relatively new, cooking!

C

No comments:

Post a Comment